Thursday, March 18, 2010

Defining My Style

I think I'm still trying to find my particular style of design. I took a quiz once on My Home Ideas or Martha's website. No, it wasn't that. It was on Real Simple, take your own quiz here. Great magazine by the way, but here's what they said. I'm a completely equal split between Sophisticated Classic and Cozy Casual. *Weird side note: although I don't take much stock in astrology, I'm a Gemini (the twins) so I can kinda see it. So what does this all mean? 


Sophisticated Classic means: I'm drawn to timeless pieces and luxe materials. I love rooms that offer an elegant blend of refined traditional furniture, jewelry-like accessories, and pale hues, pairing patrician old-world elements with cleaner Art Deco shapes. The look evokes a more formal lifestyle. Think Grace Kelly, Tiffany & Co., and Charlotte from Sex and the City. Here are some rooms that show this style.



 

 



So what is Cozy Casual? Cozy Casual means that I'm all about comfort and warmth, favoring warm, traditional rooms made for relaxing with family and friends. My ideal decor draws on English and early-American furniture designs, as well as laid-back country, cottage, and farmhouse styles. Weathered, low-maintenance furnishings are easy, inviting, and built for daily life. Think golden retrievers, fuzzy slippers, and just about any movie by Nancy Meyers (Father of the Bride I/II, The Holiday, Something's Gonna Give, What Women Want, It's Complicated-pretty much any "feel good girl movie.") Here are some images of rooms showing this particular style.







So I'm a mix between sophisticated classic and cozy casual. For shopping purposes, I should stick to stores like Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, ZGallerie, West Elm, and Ballard Designs. What's your style personality? Find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment